Feel the burn!

Ever have one of those days where it felt like the weight of the world was on your shoulders, and you couldn’t possibly handle one more thing? Well, that was today.  I was so looking forward to tonight’s speed work to just ease some serious stress, and thanks to Tammy, that’s exactly what happened. 

We started out eyeballing the track at VB Middle, and I decided I really wasn’t up for counting laps.  I seriously need a system to keep track since my watch doesn’t count them for me.  Regardless, the trails called our names, and we left from 43rd Street and ran into the park til we hit 3 miles and came back out.  Here’s the break down of tonight’s miles… We ran the warm-up at 9:43, and I was half dancing most of the way with a full bladder.  God, I’ve never been so happy to see the porta-potty in FLSP!  The first two miles were run straight through at 8:30 then 8:37, with my breathing so uneven it was all I could think about.  That and the fact that Tammy’s watch wouldn’t beep the two mile mark soon enough.  Then came a walk and catch my breath break because I know my heart rate was way up, and I had pushed hard through the heat and humidity of the 90+ degree day we had today. Then, I ran hard for the first 1/3 of the next mile til I felt like I was going to puke and stopped.  I decided I didn’t want to see what I had for lunch in reverse, so I took a quick moment, and then opted to get going again.  I ran the rest of the next full mile in 9:07.  It may have been slower than the first two, but I was giving it everything I had, and I could feel my muscles getting to the point of burning.  I was pushing past a previous threshold and touching new ground.  I was relying on my body’s ability to move, and to move fast, with brain, heart, and lungs ALL IN.  This, my friends, is the best feeling everEspecially knowing that I want Boston so bad, and I want 8:00 minute miles to feel like cake.  I dug in. I gave it what I had. Then I heard the beep, and took a breather because I was spent.  I’ll be honest, I needed a walk before the next mile.  So we walked a bit, and then headed off again.  The last mile was the slowest at 9:13, but it wasn’t for lack of effort or heart.  I was focused on how it felt, on keeping my arms in a forward motion and not crossing my body, and on how great my legs felt tonight despite all the stress of today.  My cool down mile was a 9:48, and it was well-deserved.  I so appreciate Tammy running with me tonight.  She pushes me when I need to be pushed, and who better to do it than a runner that’s faster than you?! (Maybe Tammy is my T-rex chasing me to Boston!!! More details to come in a future blog…)

This was a seriously solid speed work night, and it couldn’t have ended better! Thank you Tammy! I am so going to rock Richmond Marathon!

Live. Love. Run. Passionately!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s